We are all fanboys and fangirls and we’ve all been known to “squee” to a certain extent, some more enthusiastically than others, at something we love in pop-culture. This motivated, creative, imaginative, and always entertaining portion of the fan community seems to be having its moment in the spotlight and many writers and artists have found ways to explore what makes them “geek.”
Dark Horse Comics have announced today plans to publish the highly anticipated anthology The Secret Loves of Geek Girls. Editor Hope Nicholson has assembled a dazzling mix of prose, comics, and illustrated stories about love, dating, and sex featuring more than fifty creators, including Booker Award–winning novelist Margaret Atwood (The Heart Goes Last), Mariko Tamaki (This One Summer), Trina Robbins (Wonder Woman), Gisèle Lagacé (Ménage à 3), Marguerite Bennett (A-Force), Marjorie Liu (Monstress), and Carla Speed McNeil (Finder). It also features a foreword by Kelly Sue DeConnick (Bitch Planet) and a new cover by Noelle Stevenson (Nimona).
“These are the stories we bond over when we get together at a comic con, play video games, and marathon Star Trek, they are stories about the loves of our lives (both real and fictional!), and our embarrassing moments as we grow and learn more about the complex worlds of love and dating, especially as they relate to our fandom obsessions. All of the writers and artists involved—especially me—are incredibly excited to work with Dark Horse and bring our stories into comic and book stores worldwide… I’m so proud of my artists and writers and excited to showcase their talent across the world. No more can anyone say that we geek girls are a secretive and hidden community!” said Hope Nicholson.
The Secret Loves of Geek Girls includes:
• Cartoons by award-winning novelist Margaret Atwood that detail her personal experiences as a young woman
• A comic by Fionna Adams and Jen Vaughn about what it’s like being a trans woman trying to figure out romantic and sexual inclinations while entrenched in comics
• A story by Mariko Tamaki and Fiona Smyth in which a seventeen-year-old Tamaki dreams of being Montreal’s first chubby Asian Frank N. Furter
• A story by Marguerite Bennett about fandom and how it allows us to say what we feel to our loved ones
• New comics by Meaghan Carter, Megan Kearney, ALB, Meags Fitzgerald, Gillian G., Diana Nock, Roberta Gregory, Laura Neubert, Sarah Winifred Searle, Natalie Smith, Jenn Woodall, and Irene Koh
• Illustrated stories by Janet Hetherington, Sam Maggs and Selena Goulding, Megan Lavey-Heaton and Isabelle Melançon, Cherelle Ann Sarah Higgins and Rachael Wells, Annie Mok, and Stephanie Cooke and Deena Pagliarello
• Prose stories by Brandy Dawley, Diana McCallum, Jen Aprahamian, Katie West, Adrienne Kress, Soha Kareem, Loretta Jean, J. M. Frey, Trina Robbins, Twiggy Tallant, Hope Nicholson, Crystal Skillman, Emma Woolley, Gita Jackson, Natalie Zina Walschots, Alicia Contestabile, Tini Howard, Cara Ellison, Jessica Oliver Proulx, and Erin Cossar
Originally funded via a high-profile Kickstarter campaign, The Secret Loves of Geek Girls will be available from Dark Horse Comics in both comic book stores and bookstores in October 2016. For more information, please visit Dark Horse Comics and The Mary Sue.