This press release comes to us from Spiro Ballas, the man who put together Superheroes for Hospice. It’s a brilliant idea, giving people who love superheroes a way to be one. I hope if you’re anywhere near West Orange NJ you’ll stop by this free event and be a superhero by helping raise money for a very worthy cause. – Chuck (the editor monkey)
Superheroes For Hospice offers thousands of back issues from Silver to Modern Age,
“Get Into Comics” lecture series, pro guests and cosplay fun at annual summer show
West Orange, NJ – Over 100,000 comic books — including high-end titles from the Silver Age — will be featured as part of the upcoming Superheroes for Hospice Charity Comic Book Sale taking place on Saturday, July 20. The event also features the return of the popular Get Into Comics lecture series and a chance for comic fans to meet and greet comic book writers and artists and receive autographs and sketches – all for a great cause!
Active since 2009, the charity has raised more than $48,000 to date for Barnabas Health Hospice and Palliative Care Center (BHHPCC) by selling comics, books, toys and related items. Proceeds have helped assist individuals and families dealing with life-limiting illnesses. Conceived by BHHPCC Volunteer Coordinator Spiro Ballas, the event has attracted top industry talent who often appear to sign autographs and give entertaining lectures about the art form.
“These comic industry veterans are so big hearted and willing to help this worthwhile cause,” said Ballas. “And the public has turned out time and time again to support our efforts by donating comics and attending the sale.”
The event will feature thousands of comic books and graphic novels for sale, including books for children and adults and returning to Superheroes For Hospice, a dealer of high-end Silver Age titles. Joining the fun will be the East Coast Avengers’ “costumed characters” (11 a.m. – 3 p.m.) and appearances by sketch artists and other comic book professionals
- · Get Started: Selling Your Comic Art At Conventions; 12:30 p.m.
Mindy Indy, Comics Writer, Artist and Colorist (Misfortune Cookie; Deadpool Max)
- · Auditioning for the Big Dogs; 2:30 p.m.
Paris Cullins, Legendary Comics-Animation Artist, Toy Designer (Blue Beetle, Blue Devil)
- · The Vampire of the Lost Highway: Create Original Supernatural Worlds/Characters; 4:00 p.m.
Don Smith, Comics Writer and Non-Fiction Author (The Puppy Sister, The Goffle Road Murders)
In addition to the above creators, a host of comics industry veterans, indie comic favorites and up-and-comers will be on hand to autograph books and comics, sell original art and do sketches. Guests scheduled to appear include:
- Nadia Burgess – multi-media artist whose work includes comics, movies, paintings and cake art.
- Paul Castiglia – veteran comics writer-editor who has worked for Archie, DC, Dark Horse, etc.
- Edward Dippolito – creator of the independent comic series, Frank N. Stein
- Darrell Goza – penciller and inker for DC, Continuity, Blackthorne, Kiss Me Comix, etc.; creator of Spiritfist
- Michael Grassia – cartoonist for print, video and web; creator of webcomic, Plunger Pup
- Jeffrey F. Kipnis – creator of Lightning Squirrel, star of both comic books and novels.
- Sharon Levine – artist-writer and actress; creator of the new book, The Perfect Raindrop
- Nick Mockaviak – sketch card artist, animator, art teacher; contributing artist for Night of the Living Dead – Re-Animated and TLC’s Cake Boss
- David Earl McClain – Comics penciler-inker and logo designer for Blackthorne, Beatnik, Third Eye, etc.; creator of the webcomic, The Artifyce Connection
- Janimal Quisumbing – sketch card artist and creator of the upcoming comic, The Adventures of Pogi-Boy and Big Brown Monkey
- Rickman – cartoonist, writer-artist of Zach Meets the Zombie!
- Will Torres – artist for Top Cow, Blue Water; titles include The Apenist, Freshmen, Dog Bounty
- Edwin Vazquez – scratchboard artist whose work has appeared in the comic, The Werewolf of NYC as well publications including Nation Magazine and NERD Rant.
- Emilio Velez Jr. – writer, artist and creator of the acclaimed family-friend comic book series, The Dodgeball Teens
The free event takes place on Saturday, Juy 20, from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. It will be held at the Barnabas Health Corporate Office, located at 95 Old Short Hills Road in West Orange (directly across the street from Saint Barnabas Medical Center, next door to the Atkins Kent building). For more information or to make a comic book donation to Superheroes for Hospice, please contact Spiro Ballas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 973-322-4866.
About Barnabas Health Hospice and Palliative Care Center
The health care team at Barnabas Health Hospice and Palliative Care Center has been privileged to serve more than 52,000 patients and their families during one of the most personal times of their lives. Specially trained experts in end-of-life care are honored to provide comprehensive and compassionate medical, emotional and spiritual care at a time when it is needed most. Our programs, which serve infants, children, adults and the elderly, honor the individual choices and values of each patient and family, while offering full access to the broad array of services provided by Barnabas Health. For more information, please visit www.barnabashealthhospice.org.