I play it, my kids play it, c’mon you play it too. So it was only a matter of time before there was something new. It is interesting that it’s taken this long for Mojang to partner with someone. They must have an awful lot of faith in what Telltale is putting out.
I loved the great info piece they used to promote it, click to play Info Quest II…
Here are some clarafying bullet points from the folks at Mojang:
- Minecraft: Story mode will be a narrative-driven video game created by Telltale Games. It will be about Minecraft.
- Mojang is collaborating with Telltale and members of the community to make Minecraft: Story Mode as Minecrafty as possible.
- The first episode will be released some time in 2015, and will be available on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices.
- Minecraft: Story Mode will be released episodically, just like The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, or the recent Tales from the Borderlands, which is another developer-collaboration series between Telltale Games and Gearbox Software.
- We’re not intending on creating an “official” story for Steve, or explaining the world of Minecraft in detail. It will be a cool game.
- The Minecraft 2 thing was a joke. No really. It was a joke.
The idea of giving Minecraft a story mode is brilliant, and telling everyone that it isn’t Steve’s “official” story is a good idea. I know I’ll play through it just so I can get a little better handle on the game play. Where do you land on this one? Good idea? Cash grab? Sound off in the comments!